Sunday, July 30, 2006

What's your type?

The motorcycle didn't sell yet. The guy found another bike that he liked better. Although I was severely bummed that day, I've had 5 or 6 other calls on it, so I'm optimistic it will sell pretty quickly. New topic: Several years ago I was interested in trying to figure out people, generally speaking. I wanted to know if I could find information that would help me predict people's reactions to situations and help me navigate the murky waters of office politics. I bought a book called "Please Understand Me II," by David Keirsey. It describes a version of the Myers-Briggs personality test and the details of each personality type. I recently re-took the test, and my results indicate I am an ISFJ, or Introverted/Reserved, Sensory/Observant, Feeling/Friendly, Judging/Scheduling. I have several problems with this, however. First, this is just another label. If I tell people my personality type, they will think they can predict what kind of person I am or how I will react to a given situation. People will stick me in another compartment and prejudge me without getting to know me. I have enough labels already, thank you. My second problem has to do with the questions in the test itself. Each question has only two answers to choose from, and in many cases, I could have chosen either answer depending on the specifics behind the situation described in the question. The purpose of the test is, obviously, to select which answer "most often" applies to me, so that's what I did and these are the results I got. The fact that I sometimes would choose the other answer, however, indicates to me that my "type" doesn't tell me really what I will do in a given situation. It might tell me what I'm most likely to do, but if we're talking a 55%/45% split, then my type doesn't give me much of an edge in prediction. The last problem I have comes from the detailed descriptions of the characteristics of each personality type. Aside from the fact that I found my type's description very sexist and chauvanistic (several references to housewives and domestic proclivities), it read more like a Chinese restaurant horoscope than a guide to my personality. The descriptions were very generalized and mixed a lot of things together that didn't seem to fit. I recall when I first bought and read this book how happy I was to have found a guide to peoples' personalities. Looking back, however, I realize now that I didn't question what I was reading. I just took it as gospel. I have a habit of accepting what I read or hear without question, a habit that I'm trying to break. It seems as though we as humans have a deep instinct to follow, probably an instinct inherited from our lemming anscestors (are lemmings part of our evolutionary tree?). So, given all that, you have homework: determine where in the evolutionary tree the lemming is. You don't have to write an essay about it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Doug. Was reading your blog and you remind me very much of a couple of the guys on this board

http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=13933

They are looking for new users. Why don't you stop by and give it a whirl? Intelligent folk welcome. :)

7/31/2006 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Hey Doug! You may have already read this in my blog profile, but I'm an ISFJ too. I haven't run myself through a Myer's-Briggs test recently, but I took it several times while doing volunteer work :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

8/01/2006 12:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home