Sunday, September 03, 2006

Fashion?

I admit that I am fashion illiterate. I'm a jeans-and-t-shirt kind of guy, mostly because I know any t-shirt goes with any jeans and any shoes. I almost never dress up, even business casual, so I am desperately out of practice. Based on my wardrobe, I would never be pegged as gay. On occasion I get inspired to think about redoing my wardrobe. I go to the mall and see all the coordinated outfits on the mannequins and imagine myself walking down the street looking oh-so-fashionable. Then the feeling passes and I get an ice cream cone and go home in the same shabby clothes I arrived in. We subscribe to Details and Genre (got them free for subscribing to something else, I think). I flip through them and read the fashion articles (e.g., "Wear a diagonal-striped tie with a vertical-striped shirt to add dimension to your wardrobe.") These things make sense, but then I think, "Where will I ever wear a tie?" The last two times I've worn a tie were to two funerals over the past 5 years. So yesterday we went to the local Calvin Klein outlet, and they were having a 70%-off sale. We had mild breakdowns and bought "a few" things. Everything I bought goes with jeans, though, so I'm still in my comfort zone.

7 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

Ha ha ha. I have one laundry basket of clothes left to my name. That's it! So I no longer have an excuse. I must clothes shop now. How traumatic :)

9/03/2006 02:11:00 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

LOL That's a great place to be! Chris suggested that if I was in that situation, I should drag someone with taste along with me and force them to choose some nice clothes for me.

So if you feel fashion challenged, drag Kasi along with you! (assuming she has fashion taste)

9/03/2006 03:17:00 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

Hey - EVERYTHING goes with jeans so you are set!

9/03/2006 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I loathe dressing up and I share your lack of fashion "sense". I figure fashion is just a big illusion anyway, kind of like a group hallucination only I didn't take the right pill.

9/04/2006 09:23:00 AM  
Blogger r said...

Sale? Gosh, I loves me a sale. I'm all about quantity, not quality.

Wait, I'm not supposed to admit to that, am I?

9/07/2006 12:48:00 AM  
Blogger r said...

Sale? Gosh, I loves me a sale. I'm all about quantity, not quality.

Wait, I'm not supposed to admit to that, am I?

9/07/2006 12:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am on the other end of the spectrum and so is my partner Patrick . When we moved from Oregon to Hawaii we had 17 lkarge home depot boxes full , full I tell you of clothes. We are just two people. I think there might be something wrong.

10/01/2006 03:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home