Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Life House

Every so often I feel a bit overwhelmed by events in my life and in the world. Who doesn't? Lately I've been trying to reduce my stress levels, stay more focused when I need to, and be generally more carefree. Something that might help me with all these things is what I call my "Life House." A method that orators use to remember a speech is to visualize themselves in a house, and for each part of their speech, visualize a different room. As they progress through their speech, they can imagine themselves walking through the rooms of the house. It is supposed to help them remember the speech and the order of the speech. In the same manner as an orator's house, I've come up with a list of separate rooms that I can use to compartmentalize aspects of my life. My hope is when I feel too many pressures, I can visualize one of my rooms and focus on what I need to focus on. Another hope is that conceptually I can leave stuff in their respective rooms and therefore not have to worry about everything all at once. So, here's my initial list of rooms. Politics and current events Gay rights Finances Social life Career Hobbies and diversions Family Home Health Meditation Anyone use a similar method? Side note: I just took the Nerd/Geek/Dork Test, and my scores came back "Average Joe." I wonder if the test wasn't off by a little bit. ;) Just kidding.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

Never tried that... but after you see my place Pride weekend you will understand why - there aren't enought rooms!

REALLY looking forward to meeting you all!

10/05/2006 11:18:00 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

I don't really compartmentalize. As you know, I read. I think the book that I am reading becomes my room of choice, I can not think about other aspects of my life because I am so intent on the story that the story becomes all that matters. I further think that it is why I like mysteries as well. In a mystery, I need to think about the story in order to solve the crime, so even when I am not currently reading the book, the plot is in the back of my mind as I wonder about the solution. I tend to avoid the day to day negativity that way. I often try not to think about politics or current events because I never want to be upset over nothing. Like the case of the Amish girls being shot, there is nothing I can do or say or think about that makes that situation any better. I am better off not reading about it and trying not to think why someone would do such a thing then ruminate on it all day. (funny, how I often pick books with a "murder" theme as ones I will read. Need to think about that!)
Sorry this is long but it gave me a lot to think about. I will get back to my book now!

10/05/2006 11:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home