Sunday, August 06, 2006

Lottery results

Yesterday was a strange day. Two people showed up to look at the motorcycles we had for sale. One brought cash and drove away on Chris' Magna. The other left a deposit and a check, and when the check clears, he will take my Nighthawk. While we were doing the paperwork for Chris' Magna, the people buying it expressed admiration for our leather sofa and ottoman, which are also for sale. They ended up leaving a $200 deposit for them, and they'll return after they're done painting their house to pick up their new furniture. So we ended up selling 4 major things yesterday. It had to be an omen. I looked in my wallet and I had exactly 4 dollars, so Chris and I decided to play 4 quick-picks in the lottery. None of the 4 tickets had the number 04 in it, but we were unperturbed. This morning, I checked the lottery results, and we didn't get a single hit on any of our tickets. Not exactly a surprise, but there was a small part of me hoping... If we'd won the lottery, I wonder if I'd be more open to the existence of a supreme being or some other cosmic force directing our destinies. As it stands, I suppose this experience only reinforces my belief that God is as much a superstition as the idea of worshipping Isis or Zeus. The "what-if" game is fun to play, though, and I really wonder what I would believe if we'd won.

1 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

Congratulations about selling the motorcycles and livingroom set! I would have taken that as a sign to buy lottery tickets too, btw :)

8/11/2006 08:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home