Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Recent Fears

Recently I've read a few blog entries and comments that I have disagreed with. With one exception, I haven't posted my opinion. I can think of several reasons for this. First, I believe that most people's opinions usually can't be changed. I count myself as an exception to that rule on some topics, but I'm fairly skeptical about the general public's openness to new ideas. Second, I almost felt it didn't matter if I expressed my opinion. Sure, the bloggers put their opinions out for public viewing, but in a fit of inferiority or insignificance, I held my peace. Additionally, and related to my first point, I didn't want to open myself up to criticism. Some of the topics (like gay rights and religious opinion) don't lend themselves to logical discussion. Part of this is a mood thing for me. When I feel "hermitous," I am less inclined to put forth my opinion. I don't want to talk to people, and I don't want to comment. A bigger part of it is being unsure of myself and not wanting to "rock the boat." I've run into trouble before because I didn't open my mouth when I should have. I think a part of maturity is knowing when it is appropriate to be vocal and when I'm better off shutting up. It's not one of my strong points. The blogosphere is a strange place with unusual protocols. It's like a huge social mixer, where people wander around, listen to random conversations, and add their comments whenever they feel like it. I guess I'm not always comfortable putting in my $0.02 unless I'm fairly sure I'll get a friendly response. I want self-confidence to be a knee-jerk instinct for me, and I know it currently isn't. This is something I have been working on for a while, and I guess I still have a ways to go.

3 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

I know...Doug. Sometimes I feel like I don't have much to say or that my comment will be unimportant in the list of comments so I stay mum. Then I wonder that if I DON'T comment, the person will stop thinking about me or reading my blog. I tend to worry alot! I also get into "people pleasing" mode and really try hard not to be disagreeable. It is always hard to judge how someone will take a comment on a blog, without the visual clues that accompany a face to face meeting. Some people are really sensitive. I am one of them so you better be nice!

9/07/2006 07:50:00 AM  
Blogger The Persian said...

I often fall prey to the same fear. It has to be a pretty upsetting post for me to comment negatively.

And you are right, this blog world is just full of unusual protocols.

9/07/2006 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I think holding your tongue sometimes gives you more power in situations.

True about blogdom having unusual protocols.

9/08/2006 06:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home