Thursday, December 21, 2006

One day...

This was a great week for me as far as exercise. I posted a while back about the weight training I do, but my routine was never really intense. I did full-body workouts and didn't really exhaust myself on any one exercise. This past week, I split my routine into three parts: legs, chest/back, arms/shoulders. I put a lot effort into these workouts. They were really intense, and I felt really good about myself. Tonight, I did my arms/shoulders workout, and then went to a tennis clinic. I was a little concerned about overdoing it, but I really wanted to get my workout in and definitely wanted to play tennis. An hour into the tennis clinic, I was getting ready to charge forward to chase a ball, and I felt a pop in my left calf muscle. It felt like a tennis ball had hit me, and that's what I thought had happened. I didn't understand how a ball had hit me from behind, but that's exactly how it felt. My next step hurt, and I pulled up. I thought I had a cramp, so I hopped over to the fence, gingerly putting weight on my leg. The pain got worse, and I began to realize that this was something more than a cramp. By now, the rest of the clinic members were coming over to see what the problem was. I found that I couldn't put any pressure on my left leg, and I had to hop to a bench. I had a group of people standing over me, one person ran to get ice, and everyone was offering help. I felt kind of silly, but I appreciated everyone's concern. The ice arrived along with the owner of the club. One of the clinic members is an ER doctor, and the owner had a physical therapist on the phone. Prescription: ice and elevation for 48 hours. Then alternating heat and ice with gentle stretching as possible. Advil for swelling, up to 800mg at a time. No tennis for 6 weeks. Fuck. One day, I'm feeling great, working out, kickin' exercise butt. The next day, I'm an invalid, unable to walk, sitting with my leg on ice. Today I was so looking forward to a weekend of having fun and working on the house. Tonight I think I'm gonna be spending a few days in this chair. Amazing how things change so much in so little time. I didn't see this coming. I guess no one does. The pain in my leg is tolerable. It's the disappointment of not being able to do anything that's crippling. I know there's nothing to do but wait for it to heal. I'll just do the best I can to be patient and let it heal. As for what you can do to help, I'll quote Hawkeye from M*A*S*H, "Out of Sight, Out of Mind," episode 99: "...do whatever you were doing...you know, set your hair, iron your undies, get undressed...." Any takers?

15 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Oh, Doug. That is awful. I hope you start feeling better soon. Just take it easy and listen to the doctor. Don't try to do too much before your body is ready for it! I will be thinking about you!

12/21/2006 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

Well, since you are asking... ~eg~

Really listen to what they are saying - ice for 48 hours - hour on, hour off... then alternate the ice and heat... it is going to hurt a lot more in the morning than it does now - just to let you know - very normal...

I am so sorry this happened...

12/21/2006 10:34:00 PM  
Blogger Polt said...

I'd prefer to set your hair, iron your undies and get YOU undressed...

Sorry about the leg, man. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

HUGS...

12/21/2006 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your injury. Unfortunately stuff like that does seem to happen unexpectedly and just when you are at your best.

As for the Hawkeye comment, if I were closer, I'd be happy to comply. But to better ease your pain, I think we should all comply with Polt's suggestion first.

Hope you are felling less pain - and better- quickly!

12/22/2006 06:54:00 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Good thing you mentioned where that quote came from, or Sorted'd be all confused and shit.

Admit it. You did it on purpose. You like laying down with all those faces surrounding you, gazing upon your fabulousness.

We've got you figured out.

12/22/2006 07:25:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Awww crap.

But I can't get undressed. I'm already nekkid.

12/22/2006 08:39:00 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

You can look at it that way or say it happened to prevent something.

I twisted my ankle in Mexico. We had just changed Hotels, and the only thing they made me do after the insident, in the street, not in the Hotel itself, was make me sign a paper saying I wouldn't sue them.

The next day I went to the previous hotel to get checked out. We decided to comeback to that hotel.

So this accident might have prevented me from getting robbed, or when we went to the Pyramid, No way was I going up on a bad leg. Maybe it stopped me from falling.

You see, that's how I look at it.

It happened to prevent something bigger to happen.

12/22/2006 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger Timmy said...

HAHA! Poor Doug! Sorry for laughin.

I cant wait to get my stinky cast off! Be thankful that you dont have to have one.

Merry Christmas to you and yours! I will slap my mother, gladly.

12/22/2006 11:18:00 AM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Here's to a swift recovery and happy holiday. At least you can be waited on by bf now.

12/22/2006 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger r said...

Aww... I'm sorry. What exactly happened? Did you pull a muscle? rip a tendon? injure a ligament? (is that how ligament is spelled? Do we have ligaments in our calves? Really, what is a ligament anyway?).

Hope you recover quickly.

12/22/2006 05:36:00 PM  
Blogger Cincy Diva said...

well you know I am all about the naked! Have a Great Naked Christmas! Hope you feel better soon

12/22/2006 05:48:00 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Get your self recouped! At least you can work out the upper body in a few days, as long as you are careful.

merry Christmas. Hope the New Year brings much excitement for you and Ch**s!

12/23/2006 03:28:00 AM  
Blogger kevin said...

Oh Doug,
Im sorry to hear whats happened and over christmas too. Look on the bright side though, at least your bf will be waiting on you hand 'and foot'.

Stay focused and keep up with the ice and heat.
Kev in NZ

12/23/2006 06:00:00 AM  
Blogger Kalv1n said...

That blows chunks dude. Hopefully things will be better soon.

12/24/2006 03:51:00 AM  
Blogger Polt said...

I know this post is a little old, but it's christmas today, and there's no updated post yet, so I'll just wish you Merry Christmas here. :)

HUGS...

12/25/2006 10:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home