Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Pity Party

I'm sorry I haven't been reading or commenting on people's blogs. I've spent the past couple days battling a wave of self-pity. And I'm not saying that just to get sympathy. ;) A quick google on self-pity brought up some interesting links. Here's a sampling of what I learned. ********** From the Urban Dictionary: "Self-pity is easily the most destructive of the non-pharmaceutical narcotics; it is addictive, gives momentary pleasure and separates the victim from reality. "...Self-pity is an icky liquid you swim around in when you blame the world for your problems. "...Worrying about things that don't even matter in the long run, you allow yourself to be overcome, and others to walk over you in whatever way they wish." From Living Life Fully: "Self-pity is an extreme form of egocentrism, and usually a result of a very selfish perspective of the world. People who regularly engage in self-pity are miserable, and they tend to make others quite unhappy, too." From Join the Fun: "I believe self pity to be the single most addictive thing in the world, partly because no one will admit to having it in the first place. "...[It's] much easier to admit you're a heroin addict than a pity addict, don't you think? ********** Self-pity is one of the things that dominates my mother's life. I don't know if I inherited the gene or learned the behavior from her, but it's something that's plagued me from time to time throughout my life. Like pessimism, self-pity is just a way of looking at things. That sounds so simple. Join the Fun has a technique for beating self-pity which I will try in the hopes of avoiding future attacks. If you suffer from (or even enjoy) self-pity, check out the link and give it a try. Let me know how it works for you. My name is Doug, and I'm a self-pity addict. I've been clean for one day. And counting.

14 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

S'ok. I have been in the pre holiday doldrums myself this week. My yesterday post was a killer. And I am trying my hardest to snap out of it... but this time of year it gets hard for me. Maybe it will snow and it will make me feel better. Although you won't have snow, do something relaxing and fun. And blog (or don't blog) if you feel like it! I hope you are feeling better!

Hugs!

12/13/2006 07:46:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

See... the art of the *snark* is just the opposite of self-pity, don't you think?

It get's your mind off of what is making you feel that way, and moves it into a positive (depending on your attitude at the time) direction.

Here's how I fight it:

Go over to Sorted'd site and post anything in his comment section, doesn't matter what. End it with:

*thump thump*

Sorted will giggle. This, in turn, will make you giggle.

It's all good.

P.S. Will we see you two this weekend?

12/13/2006 08:27:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Let me now point out my "typo", before Sorted does.

"sorted'd" should be "sorted's"

Sheesh. Even when he's not in the room, I feel like he's watching over my every move. He's stalker that way.

12/13/2006 08:30:00 PM  
Blogger The Persian said...

I just wish you could see what an exceptional man you are.

*Giant Persian Hugs*

:)

12/13/2006 09:19:00 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

I canceled the violins.

12/13/2006 09:26:00 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

I know what you mean!?

BELIEVE me I know what you mean!?

12/13/2006 09:39:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Crap # 2.

I should have started that post with:

"HI, Doug."

12/13/2006 11:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Upon careful thought and consideration of your current state, I am reminded of the immortal words of Florence Hendersen at the end of the first Brady movie...

"Cut the crap, Jan!"

12/14/2006 12:10:00 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Hi Doug - (said loudly with a cup of bad coffee in my hand...)

Come on in town - we will keep you clean through Sunday!

12/14/2006 08:25:00 AM  
Blogger Timmy said...

do we share the same mother? geez!

Cheers up fastss!

12/14/2006 09:53:00 AM  
Blogger Pablo said...

Sounds like Timmy's mother.

12/14/2006 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger GayProf said...

Well, I think there is a difference in feeling sad because things are difficult/stressful/unhappy verses "self-pity." We all go through cycles when things seem bleak. What are the holidays for?

Still, don't stop yourself from feeling bad if you need to do so.

In the meantime, cheer yourself up bringing those M&M's over here.

12/14/2006 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Tis an icky liquid indeed. Avoid marination!

12/15/2006 07:09:00 AM  
Blogger Rian said...

I've been in your shoes. Or, I currently AM.

Anyway, I hope you're feeling better soon.

Big hug!

12/16/2006 02:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home