Thursday, December 07, 2006

Surprising People

I had a couple nice surprises today. The tennis pro that I take lessons with is a nice guy. He kinda talks like John Wayne, but once you get used to it you don't feel like giggling every time he says something. Anyway, I've taken lessons with three different pros over the past few months. I've gotten a couple good pointers on things I'm doing wrong, but nothing to create a huge improvement in my game. Today, though, John saw two or three things on virtually every shot I made and things seemed to click really well. I'm always happy after I play tennis, but today I was thrilled with how well I hit the ball. John really surprised me, and I gained a lot of respect for him today. After my tennis lesson, Chris and I got massages. We don't get massages very often because they're expensive, so this was a nice treat. When we got there, I mentioned my elbow problems, and my masseur asked me a few questions, stretched my arm a little, and experimentally poked and prodded my elbow and arm. During the massage, he went full force into pressure points and deep-tissue massage that really seemed to hit the problems in my elbow. It's still sore, but it feels much better. I hadn't known my masseur was so knowledgable about such things, so I was happily surprised by the wonderful treatment I got. So two different people suprised me today with their skill and knowledge. I thought I knew better than to prejudge or underestimate people. I guess I needed a little reminder. Oh, and I didn't notice that I passed 100 blog posts. This is post 102. I never imagined when I started this what a wonderful world awaited me, full of friends and support and good cheer. I've said before, but it bears repeating. Thanks. You all mean a lot to me.

9 Comments:

Blogger john said...

I took tennis lessons when I was younger. It's something that I actually thought about taking up again.

12/07/2006 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Having read about your problems with the elbow, I think it was great that you found some relief and help in an unexpected place! Sometimes life gives us good and pleasant surprises when we least expect them.

12/08/2006 06:16:00 AM  
Blogger The Persian said...

Yay 102 posts! :)

I've never had a massage, somehow it never appealed to me.

You are one sweet and special guy, it is no wonder so many of us are drawn here.

*hugs*

12/08/2006 08:57:00 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Happy 100 Doug - and here is to 1000 more! You are a very special person and I love what you write - and as long as you keep posting I will keep reading!

12/08/2006 09:07:00 AM  
Blogger Timmy said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Glad to hear the elbow is feeling better!!

12/08/2006 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger GayProf said...

Glad to see you passed 100.

Somehow John Wayne and a tennis court don't match in my mind. What does that even look like?

12/08/2006 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Congrats on 102!

Keep it up.

I'm also glad you are here my friend.

Thank you!?

12/08/2006 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Yes, a whole world you never knew existed. I love it too.

12/08/2006 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger Cincy Diva said...

You're better than I am. I don't ever run after balls...unless of course, there's a man attached. Congrats on your Blogiversary!

12/08/2006 06:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home