Monday, August 07, 2006

Mood Log

Here's an update on my moods and amino acid supplements. My second set of test results came back from NeuroScience. My serotonin is actually high, but dopamine and epinephrine are still low. NeuroScience's recommendation was to stay on the same supplement dosage. My chiropractor is less interested in the amino acid supplements and more interested in other holistic approaches, so he didn't have a strong opinion. Under my own direction, I have reduced the serotonin-enhancing supplement slightly, leaving the others alone. Many (if not all) of the neurotransmitters operate on a negative-feedback mechanism, so high levels of serotonin might cause low levels of the others. On Sunday I also reduced Effexor to 1/2 dose (75mg). I've been on a 3/4 dose for 3 weeks with no noticable effects, and Effexor may be responsible for the high serotonin levels. I realize I'm changing two variables at once, so if I feel mood instability, I won't be able to determine what the cause is. If something goes wrong, I'll back up and do them one at a time. The nice thing about this is I have control of the variables and can change them when things start to veer off course. If anyone else has had experience with anti-depressants and/or amino acid supplements, I'd love to hear from you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home