Thursday, September 07, 2006

Spouting off

I woke up this morning thinking about an article that referred to a Utah legislator's speech. It really pisses me off when: * Someone starts spouting off about how gay marriage (or anything gay-related) will destroy the "moral pillars of society." * No one stands up and calls them on their shit. The "moral pillars of society" is such a vague turn of phrase. The people who spout it usually are referring to Bibical morals, as though those apply to every individual in the world (including wiccans, buddhists, taoists, and every other non-Christian). Here's what I think defines the moral pillars of our society: * Mutual tolerance * Respect for individual rights * Freedom from oppression * Equality in every way possible These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others that are based on decency and respect and not intolerance and religious bigotry. It seems so easy for a legislator to stand up and say this, but for some reason it never happens. I don't think I've ever heard a politician in this country sincerely say this. I hear dubya say it all the time, but he's so obviously a total hypocrite that I just want to puke when he talks.

4 Comments:

Blogger toobusyliving said...

move to canada!..I'll be your "green card" bride in Toronto.

9/07/2006 09:37:00 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

We actually made a trip to Vancouver in the winter to see if we could live there. It's so cold!

In Canada: cold weather, warm hearts. In the USA: warmer weather, cold hearts.

If things continue the way they are, I may take you up on your offer. Do you have a boyfriend that can be my boyfriend's GCB?

9/07/2006 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

I would just love to hear someone (another noted politician or religious leader) stand up to one who speaks the "destroy the moral pillars" line and simply ask "How?" Tell me how this will happen. Tell me how gay marriage will undermine het marriage? Tell...me...HOW. - and be specific. I'm "full up" with "glittering generalities". Why are they so insecure about their own values?

9/07/2006 12:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you really interested in the answer? Would you actually listen to someone who offered an answer?

I didn't think much about this issue until it tore my church apart. I've had this conversation with many people and might have some things to share--if you were really interested.

I think that maybe there's so much "spouting off" because noone expects those who don't agree to listen anyway. So, people--including politicians--drop their bombs and move on.

For what it's worth. :-)

8/24/2008 09:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home