Sunday, November 26, 2006

Pessimism

Paraphrased from page 200 of "Full Catastrophe Living," by Jon Kabat-Zinn: A pessimist is someone who: * Blames oneself for the bad things that happen. * Thinks the effects of whatever happened will last a long time. * Thinks the bad event will affect every (or many) aspect(s) of one's life. In other words, "It's my fault, it's going to last forever, nothing will be the same." I don't usually blame myself when bad things happen. I'm pretty good about accepting my own humanity and realizing where the problem lies. The second and third bullets, however, hit the bulls-eye. I have many examples, the most recent being my tennis elbow. I was convinced that this would be a permanent injury and that I wouldn't be able to play tennis or work out, and my computer skills would suffer because it hurt to use the mouse. Right now, my tennis elbow is almost completely gone and I've been working out and playing tennis as usual. Evidence that it wouldn't last forever or affect everything I do. It amazes me that after all the self-help books I've read and all the therapy I've been through, the idea of pessimism never came up. This idea has aspects of cognitive therapy and self-talk to it, but as a unit, pessimism seems very powerful. I can see so clearly how my pessimistic pattern of thinking has contributed to my own misery. This seems so simple and obvious, I'm still shocked I missed it. So, I have a short-term goal to identify and alter my pessimistic thought patterns. I would like to thank Peter at Too Busy Living for recommending this book in one of his posts.

14 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

Think we all have a bit od pessimism in us Doug. I know I do. And god only knows, I was surrounded by it for 43 years...my dad was bruttle...so darn pessimistic. We just learned to laugh at it. Of course he never did anything to change it. Get yourself out of that hole if you feel you are teetering that way. Look for the simple things that happen that are positive and dwell on those...on the fact that you did accomplish them!!! Happy holidays!

11/27/2006 02:42:00 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Good for you! I firmly believe that life is NOT all sweetness and light, but I also believe that we can be our own worst enemy when we allow events or happenings to bring us down, when we allow a pessimistic outlook on life to dominate.

I too become pessimistic at times, but I try not to let it take control. I keep reminding myself, "this too shall pass."

Best of wishes and keep the good outlook!

11/27/2006 06:19:00 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

I too am the same way. But I'm working on it. I'm getting better at it.

Keep it up!?

11/27/2006 07:39:00 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

I have started every morning when I wake up looking for ONE THING to look forward to during the day - it can be as simple as coming home in the afternoon to see Hampton - just SOMETHING to look forward to and to be positive about - it has really changed things for me... for like Tony, my mother carries 2 2x4's and 3 nails with her at all times and always has... and my Dad knows that everyone has it in for him and everything that happens from getting stuck in traffic to a cold meal is the direct result of a personal attack on him...

11/27/2006 09:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been a glass is half full kinda gurl. But life sometimes gets even me down by kicking me squarely in the rubber parts. I come around and see that most everyone has bruises, none of us are immune.
Cheers,
kb

11/27/2006 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger GayProf said...

I would try to work on my pessimism, but it will always be a part of my life, consumes all of my decisions, and is probably my own fault anyway.

I kid. It reminds me of a suggestion a therapist made once about always finding one good/fun thing that happened in your day. Even if it is just watching the squirrels play in the park, it's better than nothing.

11/27/2006 01:53:00 PM  
Blogger The Persian said...

Doug I am so much a pessimist. I doubt everything. We have a lot in common.

I haven't started the Effexor yet btw.

:(

11/27/2006 07:37:00 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

I always try and look for the silver lining. My main problem is not pessimism as much as obsessive worry. I tend to worry about things before they happen and always assume the worse, though I seem to enjoy things in the present moment. Chris (my Chris) is VERY pessimistic, especially in winter and I spend a lot of time trying to cheer his spirits. But when we both are in a funk at the same time... lookout!

11/27/2006 07:54:00 PM  
Blogger jimmmij said...

I actually never considered myself to be pessimistic person. I can always look on the bright side. But until I saw the definition...WOW! I am textbook! Thanks for pointing out something that I can work on and improve myself. Much appreciated. Good luck with the re-thinking!

11/27/2006 08:52:00 PM  
Blogger Rian said...

It sounds so like me.
I don't think bullet #1 is me either. But I'm so #2 and #3. Maybe I should try to find a similar book in German...

11/27/2006 09:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

look beyond the silver lining... the world is bigger than a sunny cloud in the evening sun... realize that the life you live doesn't has to always be... or if you happen to love it, like I do.. then make it last forever. It is all within your power.

but above all know...

A life lived complete is worth infintitely more than a life lived safe...
after these few months i have learned this lesson thanks to Mikey

11/28/2006 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I am also getting a lot of insight out of this book. Thanks to Peter again.

11/28/2006 06:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELLO. KISSES AND HAVE A GREAT DAY !!!

11/29/2006 09:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think, as said above, we can all be a bit pessimistic at times in our lives. But I also think, like Lemuel said above, that we can each be our own worst enemies .

And funny enough, as you spoke of your Chris, my man can also be quite the pessimist--and also, funny enough, more so during winter!

11/29/2006 09:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home