Thursday, November 09, 2006

Tennis players might have fuzzy balls

Today pretty much sucked. I was unmotivated, uninspired, and lethargic. I hate days like today. Things turned around at tennis this evening. I haven't played in a few weeks, but tonight everything went so well. My elbow didn't bother me, my shots were on, the other players were fun, it was just great all around. So I headed off the courts and toward my car. As I approached, a cute guy wandered over and said, "Hi. Is that a diesel?" We had a short conversation, he said, "Well, have a good night." I said, "You, too." He walked into the club and I drove off. About 30 seconds later, I almost turned around to find him and keep talking to him. Another blogger who I read regularly wrote recently about missed opportunities. I tried to find the blog but couldn't. I had just finished a great tennis session, was looking forward to dinner, wasn't at all expecting to meet anyone I might want to know better. Out of the blue comes exactly that: a person I might want to know better. Meeting people is something I want to be better at. I want to be better prepared, always ready for interesting people to pop out of the woodwork.

15 Comments:

Blogger jimmmij said...

Talk about missed opportunities...been there done that! Actually had the same thing happen this week to me (even posted about it). If you goto the courts often you are bound to run into him again. Good Luck when the time comes again.

11/09/2006 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Hey Doug...I read that post too

http://yesitsmyturn.blogspot.com/

I found it for you.

BTW I love it when people pop out of the wood work...or just simply pop wood!!!

11/09/2006 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Yep, Jimmmij, sorry I didn't remember who had written that.

11/09/2006 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

Sometimes the honest, "gee whiz" foot shuffling is what is so appealing - anyone can be slick - it takes a special person to show honest emotion...

11/10/2006 07:44:00 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Picture life and encounters as a kind of tennis match. Be prepared for any balls that come your way. **EG**

11/10/2006 08:33:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Sometimes you can meet new people by stowing away in their luggage ...

11/10/2006 08:35:00 AM  
Blogger cola boy said...

Well, you know where he hangs out (the tennis courts). there's a chance you will run into him again. :-)

Six: You are too twisted for words! I love it!

11/10/2006 09:07:00 AM  
Blogger Timmy said...

aww, well, next time dont miss the opp!

11/10/2006 10:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when you are ready, you will find what you need... if yo believe. I am proof of that.

11/10/2006 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger GayProf said...

Meeting people always seems to me about learning.

I agree with Spider, too. Being honest and as close to your central core as possible is the most appealing.

11/10/2006 02:37:00 PM  
Blogger r said...

Wasn't it easier when we were little at the playground?

"I'm six, how old are you?"
"I'm six and a half."
"Want to be friends?"

That was it.

Of course, there were always those brats who were friends with you just long enough to break your toys...

I digress.

I'm glad your day turned around.

11/10/2006 08:03:00 PM  
Blogger kevin said...

Doug
I suggest you go back to the tennis club at the same time next week to see if he is around then. You have nothing to lose.

I am sure many people find you interesting so hang in there.

Kev in NZ

11/11/2006 02:58:00 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

D...
I think we need to pair you up against that crazy Cajun, BrettCajun from the Bayous of Louisiana. He's playing Houston this weekend, lost in the Winners Bracket but apparently is in the championship matches for the singles and doubles.

Tell "C" I said hello!

11/12/2006 04:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might have said at one time that I was good at meeting people. But now I'm not. I'm much more reserved than I was, because I used to attract more waders than divers.

So I agree. I'd like to be better at meeting people, too. But this time around, I want to meet more divers.

11/13/2006 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger The Persian said...

I am the worst at meeting people because I am painfully shy (to quote one of my friends). Even at a bar with a couple drinks in me I have been known to miss very obvious "opportunities".

:(

11/13/2006 12:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home