Monday, November 06, 2006

Elections are a waste

Political signs are ubiquitous these days. Every person running for office has a sign. But what do these signs tell us about the candidates? Anything? From what I can tell, the only purpose of the signs is to make sure every man, woman, and child knows the name of the person running. I was driving down the street yesterday and saw a cluster of political signs. There were five or six signs for Charlie Crist. Now, let's assume I wasn't going to vote for Mr. Crist before I saw these signs. As the first sign came into view, I'm sure my reaction would be, "Hah. I'll never vote for that guy." Then, my eyes fell upon the second sign. My reaction: "Hah. He's an idiot." Third sign: "Hmm...I wonder if he might be ok." Fourth sign: "He's not that bad a fellow." Fifth sign: "His wife is hot. Oh, wait, that was his boyfriend." Sixth sign: "I'm gonna vote for Charlie Crist, goddamnit!" My reasoning was thrown into a tailspin, however, as I turned the corner and saw a row of Jim Davis signs. Oh, no! Let's tune in and see what happens... First sign: "Hah! I'm voting for Charlie Crist." Second sign: "Yeah, right. I'm not voting for some spineless Democrat." Third sign: "Well, the Democrats do have a better record on gay marriage." Fourth sign: "Ya' know, he did vote against the gay adoption ban." Fifth sign: "I bet he's a great kisser." Sixth sign: "I'm a Jim Davis supporter, through and through!" Well, by the time I got home, my circuits were so screwed up I just sat in a reclining chair, stared brainlessly at the wall and chugged rum until I passed out. It was good rum, too. I wonder, are all these signs recycled? Are they made out of recycled materials in the first place? Now, I'm all for being reasonable when it comes to the environment. I don't think we should all live in straw huts and use enviro-composting toilets. But given the number of signs I've seen, and given the real effectiveness of those signs, it seems a pretty large forest was sacrificed in the name of nothing. So, let's assume a law is passed banning political signs. The other major outlet for political advertising is television. I was at my dad's house a few weeks ago watching the first game of the World Series. Now, I have Tivo and I religiously skip commercials (one of the few religious things I do). My dad, however, didn't have Tivo. The result: over the course of the game, I saw the exact same ads, sometimes back-to-back, for the same candidates, about 20 times for each candidate. Let's imagine what my thought processes might have been: First ad from Charlie Crist: message: Jim Davis doesn't go to the office. My response: "Hmm, Jim Davis is a slacker, I'm voting for Crist." First ad from Jim Davis: message: Charlie Crist has no plan for tax relief. My response: "Hmm, I hate taxes. I want a governor who will give me the most money. I'm voting for Davis." Repeat first ad from Charlie Crist. Repeat first ad from Jim Davis. Throw in a few ads for candidates for Chief Financial Officer. Repeat a few dozen times. Repeat ads for Charlie Crist a few dozen times. Repeat ads for Jim Davis a few dozen times. Who the fuck won the game? Who knows. I think Charlie Crist was on first, and Jim Davis was on second, and the pitcher and catcher were in the dugout fucking each other's brains out. And I'm voting for the David Eckstein for president cuz he's cute. Again, I ended up at home in a reclining chair, staring into space, chugging rum. This time it was the cheap shit. My idea for elections: 1. No signs. No television ads. No radio ads. Save the tax payers a shitload of money and spend it on feeding homeless children. Take corporate contributions out of the loop because there's nothing to spend money on. 2. Schedule multiple debates between all the candidates over the course of the election. And I mean ALL THE CANDIDATES. No more of this excluding the independent candidates shit. 3. Each candidate is allowed to publish a summary of their stance on the issues in the newspaper along with their voting history. A separate section of the paper will be dedicated to this, and it will be provided free of charge at all newspaper outlets. Here's where the candidates can spend their millions of dollars in campaign money. 4. Election day is a national holiday and a retail-closed holiday. Anyone who is forced to work (e.g., gas-station attendants, hospital and police, etc.) will be given a special opportunity to vote, maybe the day before, similar to early voting. Hopefully doing elections this way would eliminate the waste and pollution, both in the environment and in our daily lives. I have a tendency to be naive and unsophisticated, so I'm sure there are all sorts of holes in these ideas. Feel free to comment and let me know.

11 Comments:

Blogger Timmy said...

I am SO with you here. I feel the same damn way. I cant wait for this election to be OVER!

11/06/2006 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Timmy said...

you are drinking again?

11/06/2006 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

LOL no, no alcohol for me. It was all a dream.

11/06/2006 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

I have a sympathy for all you ideas.

But I must ask, in your area, do the League of Women Voters publish in the newspaper what you are essentially proposing in #3? To be sure, sometimes it can be less than ideal, but we have this and it is a start in getting positions on issues. It could be improved, but it adds support to you proposal.

11/06/2006 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

So - when are you running so I can vote for you...

11/06/2006 11:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i belong to your political party.. you just put into words what i beleive... while students don't have books, kids do not have foood... they are telling me that Mr SoandSo is against proposition UPMYASS and i should be too?

give me a break...

excellent post!

11/06/2006 04:47:00 PM  
Blogger Polt said...

I hate the campaign signs too. but it reminds me of when the Bush92 campaign had some signs or pamphlets or something made up about American jobs...and they were all printed in Brazil.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

11/06/2006 04:50:00 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

I have to laugh at the houses that have all the candidates signs on their lawn...WTF? I think they should all be banned. That is a hell of a lot of trees!!! If they used that money for something worthwhile like health care can you imaging the changes within 10 years

11/06/2006 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger jimmmij said...

You are sooooo HILARIOUS!!! I am so with you on the sign thing. I drive down the street and see the signs. It about causes me to go crazy. I change my mind back and forth. See what my name sounds like with the candidates last name...and so on and so on! Its just not right! I say its time to outlaw the signs. Next will be the comercials!

11/06/2006 09:39:00 PM  
Blogger kevin said...

You have those dreaded VOTE FOR ME boards as well. Obviously they must work or they wouldnt pay all that money to have them made. Thank goodness it's not election time over here.

11/07/2006 02:54:00 AM  
Blogger Kalv1n said...

Hmm...I'm not enjoying the election either. You'd be shocked how many flyers have been distributed in supposedly green san francisco. I'm even feeling like it's way too much.

11/08/2006 12:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home