Saturday, December 30, 2006

Night Out

We took a disco nap. Awoke around 8pm. Took a shower, ate a snack, picked out an outfit. (sequins? Not tonight.) Jeans and a CK t-shirt. We arrived around 11pm. The parking lot was reasonably full, but there weren't a whole lot of people inside. Or, I should say, they were scattered all over. It's a big place. There are 5 separate and distinct bars, 6 if you count the patio. There's a sports bar, a karoake bar, the dance bar, an eclectic bar called "The Other Side," and an upstairs bar overlooking the dance floor. We wandered around a bit, got a drink ($4.50 for an O'Doul's!? And I didn't even get a kiss afterward.) A few people were dancing, so we took a turn on the dance floor. I felt awkward, but it was good to be out there. After we danced a few songs we went and got another drink and went upstairs to watch the other people dancing. There was one guy out there who had no coordination or rhythm, so we felt better about our dancing abilities. I mean, if he could be out there, and we didn't judge him, then hopefully the rest of the people in the bar weren't snickering up their sleeves at us. There was a good mix of people there. There were plenty of cute guys, several cute guy couples, a healthy population of lesbians, and quite a few straight couples. The straight couples are always funny to see because they cling to one another so tightly, as if to say, "Don't let go of me! Don't let the faggots get me!" It's always nice to see straight couples there, though. It shows there is some tolerance in the world. At midnight the drag show started. This bar does their drag show on the dance floor, so for about a half-hour, there's no dancing, which kinda sucks. We've been to some pretty bad drag shows, and we've been to some pretty good ones. This wasn't one of the good ones. My heart goes out to the performers, but the venue just isn't conducive to a drag show. They need to create a dedicated drag bar. If they ever elect me owner of the bar, that's the first thing I'd do. After the drag show, we noticed the bar was a little emptier than before. We got another drink and watched the boys and relaxed. After our drink we took one last jig on the dance floor. By that point I felt pretty good about my dancing. I was feeling the beat and moving with the music. I wasn't so self-conscious, and I felt as though I was part of the crowd. We left around 1:30am. My leg felt a bit stiff and sore, so I probably over did it, but it isn't too bad. I'll put some ice on it and stay off it for a bit. That was our night out, our New Year's Eve weekend celebration extravaganza! A little dancing, a little drinking (for Chris), and a lot of fun!

13 Comments:

Blogger Rian said...

Sounds like a nice evening. I can't remember last time I've been to a club for dancing. Probably one or two years.

You're right, straight couples in a gay bar are almost always like that, although it seems that the guys are more afraid of beeing gang-raped than their girlfriends.

Hope your leg gets better.

12/30/2006 06:04:00 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

We too have drag shows on the dance floor. The majority aren't good.

When a club allows women, usually straight couples invade the place. It's not mixed, it's more 80/20 or 90/10. We lose the place.

As for straight guys, in clubs or when they walk in the village, like Rian said, they'll hold the girl's hand as if to say, no no I'm straight, don't look at me, I'm not available.

12/30/2006 08:11:00 AM  
Blogger A Lewis said...

God, we haven't been out to a club and dancing for many many years. Usually about halfway through REM by the time most people are going out! Not sure about straight chicks in the bar but I dig the straight boys. Love to make eyes and flirt....even though I'm already taken! That's the game, i guess.

12/30/2006 09:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do a lil dance
make a lil love
get down tonight
get down tonight

12/30/2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger TWISI said...

Sounds like a fun evening. I haven't been to a bar in years but do enjoy it when all types of people mix, it gives me hope!

12/30/2006 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Polt said...

Hehehe, Foxy Stone had me grooving in my chair...

Sounds like a fun time. Yeah, I feel self conscious when i go dancing until after about the third beer, then i don't care so much.

Watch that leg, though!

HUGS>..

12/30/2006 01:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you guys had a good time! there are no gay bars on maui ot speak of just a couple of them that have "alternative nights". And we haven't even gone to one of those in ages.

12/30/2006 03:03:00 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

"...There was one guy out there who had no coordination or rhythm,..."

Gee, I didn't see you! You should have tapped me on the shoulder and said 'Hi'! **grin**

12/30/2006 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

I have not done a Jig in such a long time! That might be by new years resolution...I can always use more of kicking up my heels!

12/30/2006 11:09:00 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

Sounds like a great time! Yea, a drag show needs a proper stage and theatre setting... Didn't know you two were dancing fools... wish there was a place here to go dancing - all the P plays that techno shit - you know, one song goes on for 20 minutes - then the next one starts, sounds just like the first one and it goes for 30 minutes...

I would KILL for a good disco bar with a BIG dance floor!

12/31/2006 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger Indigo said...

$4.50 fora fake beer? The horror! The horror!

12/31/2006 05:40:00 PM  
Blogger Joshua said...

Happy New Year!
Enjoy your life!
Anything can Happen! :)

12/31/2006 08:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot to say Happy New Year in My above Comment ....So Happy New Year May it be Blessed and Bright , Joyous and full of all things good !!!

12/31/2006 09:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home