Monday, December 04, 2006

Random Stuff and a Mini-Rant

The solar panels are being delivered today. We discovered on Saturday that the shipping company wants to charge us an extra $100 to take the panels off the truck and put them in our driveway. I guess shipping something doesn't imply giving it to the person you shipped it to. In reference to Tony's post, the delivery guy better be cute. I don't care if he's smart. ;) We've also got the electrician coming today to give us an estimate on installing a sub-panel for the circuits that will be on solar power. Hopefully he'll be intelligent. Things are moving very quickly now! We're having trouble getting into the Christmas spirit this year. We've got 80-degree weather (not complaining, just saying), guilt trips on the mom express (complaining), disgust with the video game riots and the obvious greed of the holiday shopping season, and a general feeling of apathy. We're gonna put up lights later today. Hopefully that will help. In other news, my elbow is an on-again, off-again affair. I'm gonna go to Costco and see if they have replacement elbows. I'll probably get two just in case. I've had some competition for the signed Whoopi Goldberg Guinan Doll, but I'm still the high bidder. We'll see how big this thing gets. The auctions for Bid2BeatAIDS last until December 10th. Ten bucks could land you a unique something signed by someone famous! Mini-Rant: A problem I see with days like World AIDS Day is that they come and go, there's a media blitz for that one day, and then its out of everyone's minds (everyone who doesn't have HIV). I'm going to try to remember that HIV is still a huge world crisis, even though it's now December 4th. Perhaps something as important as this needs a day each month to remind people that it hasn't gone away. In the past two years I've attended Pride parades in March, June, August, and October. Pride parades get me charged up, seeing there are so many of us out there (no pun intended), feeling optimistic about our activism and our chances for equality. It helps that parades occur throughout the year rather than bunched up into a single month. AIDS and HIV need something similar (other than daily pills, constant side-effects, and death) to remind the world at large that it still exists, that people still need our help, that we can beat it if we keep up the fight. /mini-rant

6 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel said...

Your mini-rant is so right-on. Sad, but true.

As for the delivery men charging you for removing the items from their delivery truck... would they rather you do it yourselves and then sue their a**es if you hurt yourselves in their truck?

12/04/2006 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger GayProf said...

Guinan could really say something with a hat.

As for World AIDS Day, at least it's a start if it gets people thinking about it for just one day that they otherwise would not have thought about it.

12/04/2006 01:07:00 PM  
Blogger Rian said...

I think you're right on the World AIDS Day. Thinking about AIDS one day a year isn't enough. But at least there is one day where the "regular" people (not gay) get in touch with HIV.

By the way, I don't say that HIV is gay-related. I meant gays know more about HIV than John Q. Public--at least in Germany.

12/04/2006 03:04:00 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

I so agree with your mini-rant on so many levels... I was listening to the radio station here granting "Christmas wishes" for people, paying rent, groceries, etc - why can't they do that all year long...or at least spread it out over the year...

Great post - SO - was he cute?

12/04/2006 06:27:00 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

I understand what you're saying about AIDS day. But I'd be afraid people wouldn't hear anymore if it was too, in your face.

But once a year is really not enough.

Sorry about the shipping problems.

But very cool that you got solar panels.

It's something I want to do when I get my house.

12/05/2006 01:08:00 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

LOL Chris, that's hysterical! Send me an email if you bid again and I won't bid on it. Email addy is in my profile.

Please tell me you're not also bidding on the Melissa Ethridge CD/DVD. If you are, I'm gonna have to come up to NYC and marry you. Or beat you up. Or both. ;)

12/05/2006 08:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home