Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Self-Conscious

Sorry for the double-post today. My muse was late waking up. I guess he needed a cup of coffee or something. Anyway, here's my thought for today. I used to love to dance, but I would only dance if I was drunk. Once I got started (dancing, that is), it was difficult to get me to stop. I've been known to hit people while resisting being pulled from the dance floor (again, I was drunk, not that being drunk is a good excuse for hitting people). I'm coming up on 2 years without drinking, so I'm also coming up on 2 years without dancing. There have been many times that I've felt like dancing, and we've even gone to a few dance clubs with the intention of dancing, but never got out on the dance floor. I long for the days (nights) of losing myself in a trance of mindless rhythm, the release of physical exertion, the deep vibrations of the bass permeating my body, my eyes closed as I embrace the music. I think the bottom line is that I'm very self-conscious about my dancing abilities, and unless I've got some external influence to loosen me up, I'm too uptight to start. That's probably the biggest lure of drinking: the release of inhibitions. I don't plan to start drinking again, but I want to start dancing again. Anyone wanna dance with me?

9 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

In my BEST Bette Midler voice...

"Do you wanna dance, and hold my hand?
Tell me you're my lover man.
Oh baby, do you wanna dance?

"We could dance under the moonlight,
hug and kiss all through the night.
Oh baby, tell me, do you wanna dance with me baby?

"Do you, do you, do you, do you want to dance?
Do you, do you, do you want to dance?
Do you, do you, do you, do you want to dance with me baby?

"Ah, that's right, ah, ah, aaaaaaaah.
Do you want to dance under the moonlight?
Hug me, kiss me, baby, all through the night.
Oh baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, tell me, do you want to dance?

"Oh, do you, do you, do you, do you want to dance?
Do you want to dance?
Do you, do you, do you, do you want to dance with me baby?
You got to dance with me baby.
Please dance with me baby"

That is, as long a Chris doesn't mind! Not that this is my FAVORITE Bette Midler song or anything...

10/24/2006 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Timmy said...

I'd dance wif ya!

10/24/2006 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

well I can't compete with spider! He is a brave man!Well maybe after a few drinks I may try.

10/24/2006 06:11:00 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Can I have a spot on your card?!

Dance for yourself, not for others!

"To dance is to live!" (Snoopy)

10/24/2006 06:23:00 PM  
Blogger Cincy Diva said...

One of my favorite phrases about how to live life is:

Dance like there's no one watching!

I think you should literally do this. Just pretend you're all alone in your living room and dance like a maniac!

10/24/2006 06:36:00 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

I used to love to dance too and not while I was drunk. So I would definately dance with you. Just go out and have some fun! I am really self conscious now, about my weight, ect. And I don't always understand modern music and exactly what I am supposed to do. I liked the eighties where I could just thrash around like mad.

10/24/2006 06:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't dance. I can't handle the laughter.

10/24/2006 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger The Persian said...

I am the exact same way. I love to dance, and would also get lost in the music oblivious to everyone around me.

Like you also, I can't dance at a club sober, hell I can't even walk INTO a club completely sober. I am the most self conscious person I know, well not on my blog, but in public.

10/26/2006 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger Mr Whettams said...

I do, honey...

10/29/2006 10:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home