Thursday, October 19, 2006

Manatee Sighting

We saw our first manatee in the canal today. We've heard many people talk about seeing manatees in the area, but never seen one ourselves. I was sitting on the back patio and heard it come to the surface and take a breath. It hung out in the canal for a couple hours. Manatees are very, very slow-moving creatures. It was both intriguing and sad to see it. Intriguing of course to see a creature in its natural habitat. Sad because the manatee is endangered and because it's a good bet that the manatee had propeller marks on its back. It never got close enough for us to get a good look, but every single other manatee we've seen has had marks on its back. We also felt a little guilty because we have an outboard motor on our boat. We've never hit a manatee, but the way it was moving, we might very well hit one, even as slow as we go (about 6 mph max). The manatee wouldn't be able to get out of our way, and it would be hard to see it in the water unless it was fully on the surface (see the pics below). From the pics you can't tell if it's a manatee or a mound of sludge, but trust me, it was a manatee. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

7 Comments:

Blogger Rian said...

It's hard to believe for me that animals like manatees (or many others) really exist outside of zoos.
Did you know that Columbus thought they're mermaids?

10/20/2006 04:49:00 AM  
Blogger kevin said...

Hi I have just discovered your blog and i like it. Can i ask though, what is a manatee? Is it a fish?

I look forward to visiting your blog again soon.
Kevin in New Zealand.

10/20/2006 04:52:00 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

cool! and I'm glad to hear that you are sensitive to the dangers to these creatures. Having not lived in the south where they dwell, I may be wrong, but the info that I have is that they are very gentle creatures.

10/20/2006 07:08:00 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

They are just the kindest, sweetest, most gentle creatures in the world... and I think they are so cute also! If humans could act more like them - move a little slower, hang out in the warm water and enjoy life...

You need to come back over here in the late winter early spring when the manatees come to Blue Springs - they are SO sweet...

10/20/2006 09:06:00 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

I love manatees! I also get saddened when I think about the earth's creatures and what we are doing to their homes. I wish there was a better way we could all live together... and the census says that the US is about to have 300 million people! I think that is too many. We need to get people to stop having kids!

10/20/2006 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

I find manatees to be beautiful creatures. Yes, they are slow, but they have grace

10/20/2006 08:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never seen a live manatee! It would be something to share on my blog. Awesome photo opportunity!

10/22/2006 09:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home