Friday, January 05, 2007

Advertising Phobia

Cola Boy recently posted about new and interesting ways advertisers are trying to peddle their wares, in this case, "The L Word." His post reminded me of an experience... The Story We have a favorite gay guesthouse in Fort Lauderdale. It's one of our favorite places to stay. It's luxurious, the guests are friendly, the staff is friendly, and it's just an all-around relaxing getaway. On our most recent trip I was talking to the newly-promoted general manager, a cute, 30-something guy who had always been extremely friendly and happy to see us. In the course of our conversation, he mentioned he'd been in advertising, an account manager or something of that nature. Interesting change from advertising to hospitality, probably not that big a stretch, but no big deal at the time. Later that same day I went to the office looking for some bananas (for eating...I'd just worked out at their gym...get your minds out of the gutter!). The manager was there and cheerfully pulled a bowl of fruit from the kitchen and offered it to me to choose what I liked. There was a mixture of ripe and less-ripe bananas in there, and he said, "Do you prefer ripe bananas? I personally like them on the ripe side, a little sweeter." I prefer less-ripe bananas. If they get too ripe, I find their texture too mushy. So I picked a less-ripe one and thanked him and went on my way. Our little conversation, however, had set off all sorts of bells in my head. I felt as though he was trying to pursuade me to pick a more-ripe piece of fruit, and I understand why. If it gets too ripe, he has to throw it out. But I felt as though his little confession of fruit-preference was intended to sway me. It didn't feel genuine. And I began to wonder if his smiles and cheeriness were part of the game or if I were being too paranoid. Somehow, the knowledge that he'd been in advertising had colored my perception of him. The Generalization Have you ever noticed how our society has become an endless stream of advertising? No matter what we do, there's always a sponsor, a banner, a button or patch, a logo, a brand-identification scheme, something intended to make us feel good or bad about one product or another. Something is always there to change or reinforce our perceptions. How it Affects Me The ubiquitousness of advertising has made me very suspicious of anyone or anything affiliated with that industry. Nothing gets me to change the channel faster than Billy Mays' voice. He barely gets through his intro, "Hi! I'm Billy M--" and I have dived (dove? diven? whatever...) across the couch, spilled my drink and elbowed Chris in the stomach, snatched up the remote, and changed the channel. The 700 Club, Fox News, anything is better than Billy Mays. I use Tivo religiously. If I'm watching a program that isn't recorded, I'll pause it to give me a buffer so I can fast-forward through commercials. I pay to listen to satellite radio because I can't stand the endless stream of obnixious car commercials on regular radio. WMMO, 98.9, in Orlando is the only normal radio station I've ever heard that's done commercials half-decently. I wouldn't doubt it if there is a documented psychological disorder related to advertising. Is there an advertising phobia? I might have it. The Conclusion This makes me sound like a jittery, paranoid conspiracy theorist. "Everyone is out to sell me something." Even though everyone is out to sell me something, I'm not really that paranoid about it. The manager at the guesthouse is still a nice guy. I just am a little sick of all the advertising. And I don't mean to offend those of you in the advertising business. We all gotta live. I just think it's gotten a little out of hand. This blog post brought to you by the friendly folks at Joe's Morgue and Clothing Emporium, "You stab 'em, we'll slab 'em! With style!" Buy one, get one free*. Yes, you too can have a BMW for $199/month**. Sorry this got so long. If you've made it this far, you win a free trip to Tahiti***! * Buy one item of $50 value or greater, get one item of $0.50 value or less for free. ** The cheapest one, with a $30,000 down-payment. *** Free for me. You still have to pay for it.

21 Comments:

Blogger Mikey said...

Damn fine print!!!

You should document this as a Phobia and we could all call it Doug's Syndrome! then again you would have to advertise to get the word out there of a new syndrome so scratch that!

BTW...I like having my mind in the gutter!!!

1/05/2007 01:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely. I grew up in an era of "civic arenas" named only for the locality, built with the community's common funding and effort. Now everything has to have a corporate name and logo. I can think of various reasons why, but the most telling is laziness and cheapness. It appears to us to be much less work and much less out of our pockets if some big corporation pays. Some of it is very insidious for we are subtly being told what we should like, what we should do, what we should say, how we should say it. We are being sold everything from bananas to arenas to our politics. And always behind it is the mumbled, quickly-spoken, unintelligible disclaimer.

1/05/2007 02:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is not a phobia, it is a reality. In my first foray into new-ageism, I noticed how many were out there willing to sell me love charms, special rocks that would increase my vitality, and the all important messages from Rama-lama-ding-dong of the Sphnicter galaxy who was channled through Miss GiveMeTheMoney for only $39.99.

1/05/2007 04:39:00 PM  
Blogger Indigo said...

Lemmie tell ya: after a 10-year career in retail sales, you can be sure that good news never follows an asterisk.

You're right on the money on bogus car leases. You have to put down a gargantuan security deposit and then basically promise not to drive it. Ha-ha!

1/05/2007 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger Indigo said...

Lemmie tell ya: after a 10-year career in retail sales, you can be sure that good news never follows an asterisk.

You're right on the money on bogus car leases. You have to put down a gargantuan security deposit and then basically promise not to drive it. Ha-ha!

1/05/2007 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger Indigo said...

Lemmie tell ya: after a 10-year career in retail sales, you can be sure that good news never follows an asterisk.

You're right on the money on bogus car leases. You have to put down a gargantuan security deposit and then basically promise not to drive it. Ha-ha!

1/05/2007 06:42:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Funny damned post.

That's all I've got. No disclaimers.

1/05/2007 09:20:00 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

I don't see pharmaceutical reps anymore; the industry spends 20 billion dollars trying to get me to use their specific product.
Can you imagine that mony rather going to health care?
You and I pay for it in our Rx prices.

1/05/2007 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Good post. I've worked in radio/television my entire adult life, and even though most advertising annoys even me, it works. Oh yeah, it pays my oh, so lavish salary, too. I had a general manager at a radio station long ago who basically thought radio listeners are idiots. I'm more of a believer of 'passive listening' - meaning, people DO NOT hang on every word I say on the radio. Why do you think we run an ass-load of obnoxious spots over and over again? If I tell you that the store down the street is selling the best crap ever crapped - and tell you that enough - you're probably gonna go buy some. Like I said, even though most of it blows, it really does work. "And, be sure and stop by Main Street Dry Cleaners, the best place in town to drop your pants."

1/06/2007 08:18:00 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Good post.

Didn't you use to write like that?
I seem to recall.

I like some TV ads, but just for the ad, not the product, and it wont make me buy it.

1/06/2007 08:27:00 AM  
Blogger StePHen said...

yay for tahiti!! :)
i know what you mean and this was a GREAT post about a society completely inundated with how we are supposed to live, feel, look, and achieve. i need herbal essence in the shower and folgers in my cup before i put on my abercrombie jeans and jump in my hummer... yadayada... thanks for a fresh look on this. great blog!!! :)

1/06/2007 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger r said...

Doug... loved this.

Don't be too hard on the guesthouse guy... he might just like those mushier bananas; although I'm with you on the almost-ripe ones; better flavor as far as I'm concerned.

1/06/2007 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Polt said...

Dont like bananas at all actually. And I too hate the corpoate sponsership of EVERYTHING! UGH!

HUGS...

1/07/2007 12:15:00 AM  
Blogger kevin said...

Advertising definitely is in everything i think.



here is an example from my experience.....
When i was 9 years old Colgate gave my whole class a free tube of colgate and a free Colgate toothbrush. I used it proudly and then brought some Colgate toothpaste when it had run out. Everytime i went to the supermarket to get toothpaste it would always become Colgate because i associate that with good teeth. I see other brands on the shelf but for some reason i think they are not so good ar that i shouldnt get them or sometimes i dont even notice the other brands.

Advertising has definitely worked on me there.

Kev in NZ

1/07/2007 01:26:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Amen!

1/08/2007 08:58:00 AM  
Blogger Timmy said...

great post!

1/08/2007 09:00:00 AM  
Blogger BentonQuest said...

I always find myself questioning, "Why should we listen to these people in ads?" "Why, if this stuff works so well don't the Dr.'s know about it?" "Why should I trust this spokesperson? Don't they sing stupid songs?" I still get sucked in to the ads, but I'd like to think I am a little more savvy.

1/08/2007 02:54:00 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

I don't have cable OR a TV antenna. I cannot stand ads. I wait for shows to come out on DVD and then I watch them. I DO watch TV when I am visiting my mom and by the end of the week I know why I don't have cable. There was this news show that would explain what story was coming up and show a clip. Then commercials. They they explained it again... and more commercials. By the time the real story came on, it was only a minute and a half long. It just doesnt end!

1/08/2007 06:06:00 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

It's a sad reflection of our society. Best to ignore all of it and let some other chump get sucked in.

1/10/2007 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger madamerouge said...

I'd still do Billy Mays--as long as he didn't speak.

;-)

1/12/2007 03:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes a banana is just a banana.

12/09/2008 06:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home