Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Back in the saddle

Chris and I just returned from a little mini-vacation in Daytona. It was heart-warming. It was reassuring. It was so much fun! When we left for Daytona, I'd expected to have some kind of connectivity to the internet when I arrived. There was nothing. I was cut off. Incommunicado. Hence the lack of blog entries and comments for the past 4 days. I apologize to those who felt neglected. For those who didn't notice I was gone...nevermind. ;) This is my first vacation since I started blogging, and now I realize the backlog that can build up. My newsgator showed 33 unread posts, and I don't even have all my regular blogs on newsgator yet. So, about the vacation. We don't have many gay friends in our area. The avenues for meeting new people here are few and far between, and most of the people interested in meeting are just looking for sex. About a year ago, we met another gay couple, Jake and Peter. They were vacationing nearby and wanted to get together. After a few chats and emails, we invited them over for dinner and had a wonderful evening with them. We got to know them, they got to know us, and we seemed to click right away. In the past year, we haven't seen Jake and Peter, and Chris and I kept discussing a trip to see them. Discussion finally transformed to determination, and we planned a few days off, coordinated a weekend that was good for them, and booked a room in Daytona. What we did: walked on the beach, saw the space shuttle launch, went to Epcot, rented a pontoon boat on the St. Johns river, and reconnected with good friends. Beyond the facts of the events, I'm having trouble finding the words to describe our weekend. Peter and Jake are caring, generous, fun, down to earth, laid back, the list goes on. We had such a great time with them. It's reassuring to know people like them exist. We're honored to know them and to be their friends. So now I'm kinda bummed. We're back into the old routine, back to work tomorrow, away from our friends, feeling piteous (or is that pitiful?).

6 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

WAIT - you were in Orlando and you didn't call... lets not have that happen again... please be sure and all next time you all are in the area... would love the chance to meet you both...

9/12/2006 11:55:00 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Well, at least one of your online friends is back from the dead... and I MISSED YOU!

You saw the shuttle launch? I'm very envious.

9/12/2006 02:34:00 PM  
Blogger Timmy said...

wow, sounds like a wonderful trip. I missed you for sure!

9/12/2006 02:38:00 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

It's obvious the trip was well worth it. Keep in touch with your friends!

9/12/2006 06:30:00 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

It has been HORRIBLE here without you! (well, not horrible exactly, but I definately missed you.) I am glad you were able to get away and connect with some good friends. We all need that. I spent the weekend with Chris away and not seeing a single soul unless it had four legs. But it was heaven!

9/12/2006 07:24:00 PM  
Blogger DEREK said...

sounds like you had fun, I was just in Daytona beach as well for vacation back on Labor Day week. Mike and I only live an hour from Daytona Beach.

9/15/2006 11:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home