Thursday, November 02, 2006

Searching for the lightswitch

It is as though a switch, hidden inside me where I cannot find it, was turned on. I am my normal self this morning. I have searched unsuccessfully for the location of this switch. I have no option but to keep searching. Looking at my blog, here are days I was in a funk: 11/1, 10/24, 10/8, 9/20, 9/1, 8/28, 8/14 There's no apparent pattern, but this is a very limited sample. Although I have been tinkering with my Effexor dosage in an effort to reduce the side-effects, I've been having these kinds of off-days for years, so I don't think the drugs are the cause. Too bad I didn't keep a mood log from before I started my blog. I know it's not realistic to expect every day to be sunshine and lollipops. My concern is that my moods don't seem to be related to any specific event. I'm not sad or angry about something, I'm just sad or angry. I wake up some days feeling out of sorts for no apparent reason. A detailed mood log along with a diet, exercise, and event log would probably help pinpoint the cause. Hehe, when I'm feeling good, I think I don't need to do that kind of thing, and when I'm feeling bad, I think that kind of thing is useless crap. I can hear my therapist saying with good-natured humor, "Well, the choice is entirely up to you. Do the work or not. I can't force you." Thanks for the comments yesterday. They helped.

9 Comments:

Blogger The Persian said...

I know exactly what you mean. My funks/mood swings come and go with varying intensity. That's why I wanted to try Effexor, we will see.

It is so frustrating at times.

*Persian Hugs*

11/02/2006 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

The effexor works for me - but it takes me about 2 weeks after a dose change to get all of the side effects out of the way... then I am my normal, cheerful, kind, loving self again...

11/02/2006 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

I think it gets worse when the seasons change and it gets darker sooner... I don't know how much change you get in Florida, but here it is getting dark around five. I was really in a bad mood yesterday and my sleep patterns have not been good so I kind of know the feeling. I just try to ride out of a bad patch and hopefully the next day is better. Here's a hug to make today better!

11/02/2006 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Timmy said...

umm, where is the picture of you half nekkid? (taps fingers on desk) hmmmph.

11/02/2006 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger The Persian said...

Yea, I'm with timmy. (taps fingers on desk too)

11/02/2006 01:11:00 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Yeah! (drumming fingers impatiently)

:)

It's all a bio-chemical balancing act. Increase one thing and the brian reacts by changing other chemical secretions to compensate. Perhaps someday when human bodies are entirely synthetic, we can be fully "on" all the time.

11/02/2006 03:51:00 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

The time change threw me off this past weekend. I am tapping too!! NHT

11/02/2006 03:51:00 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Happy that somebody or something found that switch! and that you are feeling better. I would encourage you to do the logging to see if there is a pattern.

But the good news is the funk passed.

HUGS!

11/03/2006 07:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sadness is a natraul function of the brain... embrace the sadness. It is part of you too.. some of the greatest works of mankind came from deep sadness

11/05/2006 01:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home