Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Slapdashery

I was recently honored by an invitation to join the group blog Gay Men Rule. I posted my first post today, so if you feel so inclined, check it out at your leisure. I'm not quite sure what to post there vs. what to post here, but at the rate I've been going, I'll have plenty of things to write in both for a while. Blogging has certainly changed my life. I'm pretty sure I don't have a blogging problem yet. I haven't missed any work because of blogging, my relationship is still strong, and I haven't had any blackouts. I do have some other symptoms mentioned here and here, but I'm not quite ready to check myself into Betty Ford. My boyfriend Chris was complaining this morning that his coffee tasted like soap (the coffee pot got cleaned yesterday). I told him I would make him another pot, and he said, "No, I'd rather complain. It's quite fun." Before I started psychotherapy, I always wondered about "the secret to a happy life." After about 2 years of individual and group therapy and a lot of soul searching, I've come to the conclusion that "the secret" is a bunch of little things improved a little bit at a time over a long period of time. There is no magic bullet, and the switch from unhappy to happy isn't immediate. Also, the journey to "happy" never ends. This all seems obvious, but it wasn't to me. Learning can be a painful process.

4 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

That coffee comment was pretty funny. I would HATE soap tasting coffee! I think I am still somewhere on the road to happy. I am usually pretty content. Happy might be too strong a word. But I get up each morning and find reasons to smile. That's a good thing!

9/13/2006 09:56:00 PM  
Blogger The Persian said...

There are a lot of misconceptions about the secret to a happy life.

You're right, it isn't instant and the journey never ends!

This coming from a lonely single guy :(

9/14/2006 02:43:00 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

I love your statement "Also, the journey to 'happy' never ends." Dead on. May your "journey to 'happy'" always be happy!

9/14/2006 03:18:00 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I liked that. And sometimes the journey is better than the destination....

9/15/2006 07:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home